If you already teach fitness classes and want to broaden your client base, this is a great specialism for you. Older adults are a group who are continuing to grow and specially tailored exercise classes are becoming extremely popular.
With this course, you will learn how to adapt your training methods to the older adult population. So not only will you boost your income by broadening the scope of your clients, but you’ll also be making a difference to people’s lives. This specialism is suitable for most fitness professionals and is a valuable accompaniment to the portfolio of a Personal Trainer, Yoga or Pilates Instructor.
The benefits of taking this course
- You'll be able to broaden your client base
- Flexible learning, with part one of your course delivered online
- You'll be taught by industry experts
- You'll have unparalleled student support to help you along your way
With this weekend course, you can study whilst staying within full-time employment.
Format: Classroom-based learning and online home study
Duration: 2 days
You'll be completing theory learning from home via our eLearning website before your course starts. This means you must book at least 6 weeks in advance to allow enough time to be ready for the exams you will sit during the course.
The Exercise for Older Adults course is an important specialism if you're interested in teaching individuals or group sessions. You will be given the necessary skills to adapt and deliver your exercise programmes for older adults, making them safe and engaging for that population. Lessons will include:
- Exploring the physiological, anatomical and psychological changes of ageing
- The benefits of exercise for the ageing population
- Safe and effective exercises in relation to a range of medical conditions
- How to deliver adaptations and modifications for different conditions and abilities
- Aspects of working with older adults beyond exercise, including social interaction, nutrition and referral to healthcare professionals.
The exams are taken during your 2 days of classroom-based learning.
- Case study
- Theory paper
- Over 16 years old
- Level 2 Exercise to Music or;
- Level 2 Gym Instructor or;
- Level 3 Pilates or;
- Yoga or equivalents
- A minimum of three months teaching experience is strongly recommended.
- YMCA Awards Level 3 Award in Adapting Exercise for Independently Active, Older People
- 20 REPs points
- 10 CIMSPA points
Call us on 0844 417 2349 (Local rate) to book your course or fill out our request a call back form.
We accept debit or credit cards over the phone or in person at our London head office. Our office is open 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday. This course will need to be paid in full.