If you already teach fitness classes and want to broaden your client base, this is a great specialism for you. Older adults are a group who are continuing to grow, and specially tailored exercise classes are extremely popular.
With this course, you will learn how to adapt your training methods to the older adult population. So not only will you boost your income by broadening the scope of your clients, but you’ll also be making a difference to people’s lives. This specialism is suitable for most fitness professionals and is a valuable accompaniment to the portfolio of a Personal Trainer, Yoga or Pilates Instructor.
- Qualifies you to teach exclusive classes for this population group
- Gives you the potential to earn more and increase your employability
- You'll be part of a special time in your client’s life
- It’s taught by highly qualified, experienced tutors
- Internationally recognised qualification
This course is suitable if you wish to study whilst staying within full-time employment as we have a variety of formats to choose from.
Face to Face classroom
This format is delivered in a classroom at our London venue. You may prefer to attend a course delivered in an educational setting.
- Format: Face to face classroom-based learning
- Duration: 2 days
- Weekdays and weekend options available
- Assessments: The theory assessment is taken during the course. All other assessments are submitted online.
This format is delivered in a virtual classroom. You may prefer to study from home to reduce the need to travel.
- Format: Virtual Classroom based learning
- Duration: 4 x 3hr virtual classroom sessions
- Weekend and evening options available
- Online theory assessment
- Online written assignment submission
The Exercise for Older Adults course is an important specialism if you're interested in teaching individuals or group sessions. You will be given the necessary skills to adapt and deliver your exercise programmes for older adults, making them safe and engaging for that population. Lessons will include:
- How to plan and teach safe and effective sessions for older adults within your area of expertise.
- Physiological and anatomical changes of ageing, in relation to exercise.
- Aspects of working with older adults beyond exercise, including social interaction, nutrition and referral to healthcare professionals.
- How to identify cases when exercise and activity aren’t recommended.
- How to deliver adaptations and modifications for different conditions and abilities
- The benefits of exercise for the ageing population
- Case study
- Theory paper
This course is open to anyone over the age of 16. It is essentials that you have a minimum of three months of teaching experience.
One of the following or equivalents:
- Level 2 Exercise to Music
- Level 2 Gym Instructor or Level 3 Personal Trainer
- Level 3 Pilates Instructor
- Level 3 Yoga Instructor
- YMCA Awards Level 3 Award in Adapting Exercise for Independently Active, Older People
- 10 CIMSPA points
Call us on 0203 944 2533 (Local rate) to book your course or fill out our request a call back form.
We accept debit or credit cards over the phone or in person at our London head office. Our office is open 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday. This course will need to be paid in full.