Progress your fitness career by becoming a specialist in exercise for disabled people. With this course, you'll be able to provide adapted workouts and advice for people with an impairment - supporting them to stay fit, healthy and happy. Disabled people are under-represented when it comes to gym facilities and they need your help. This is a valuable set of skills to add to your portfolio and you will be trained by industry experts, so you can be sure that we'll give you the confidence to start offering this specialism straight away.
The benefits of taking this course
- You'll be able to adapt your routines for an under-represented population
- You'll be in high demand
- You'll have unparalleled student support to help you along your way
- Internationally recognised qualification
This intensive course is a mixture of theory and practical work.
Format: Classroom-based study
Duration: 2 days
The Exercise and Disability course will enhance your career as you will have the skills and knowledge to offer workouts and fitness advice for disabled clients. You will learn how to design and deliver safe and effective workouts for clients who suffer from disabilities and impairments. Lessons will include:
- The implications of disabilities and impairments (hearing and visual impairments, spinal injuries, amputation, cerebral palsy and learning difficulties) on exercises.
- How to develop and supervise a programme for people with a disability.
- Current legislation (Disability Discrimination Act, Equality Act) and the obligations they place on facilities to provide access for disabled people.
- Barriers to exercise for disabled people - physical and environmental, as well as society’s attitudes to disabled people.
You will have 1 day of assessments, which will be a mixture of practical and theory work.
- Case study and verbal assessment - you’ll need to bring a client who has one of the disabilities covered on the course.
- YMCA Awards Level 3 Programming and Supervising Exercise with Disabled Clients
- 10 CIMSPA points
- Over 16 years of age
- Level 2 Fitness Instructor (Gym or Exercise to Music), Level 3 Personal Trainer, Yoga or Pilates Instructors.
- A minimum of three months teaching experience is strongly recommended.
Call us on 0203 944 2533 (Local rate) to book your course or fill out our request a call back form.
We accept debit or credit cards over the phone or in person at our London head office. Our office is open 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday. This course will need to be paid in full.