As part of a Government-backed initiative, the Advanced Learner Loan provides a flexible way for students over the age of 19 to pay their course fees. You pay back your loan (plus interest) when you finish your course and earn more than £27,295 a year. There are no credit checks and applications are not dependent on your income.
Level 3 & 4 courses with funding
The Advanced Learner Loan is available on the following level 3 & 4 courses and will cover the cost of your full course. To find out how much your deposit and the maximum loan will be, see the 'How to book' section of your chosen course.
- Diploma in Gym Instructing and Personal Training
- Diploma in Teaching Yoga
- Diploma in Personal Training
- Diploma in Sports Massage
Who can get this loan?
In order to qualify for the loan you must be either be:
- 24+ years of age on the first day of your course, or
- 19 to 23 years of age and have already completed a level 3 qualification
You will also need:
- A National Insurance number
- To have been living in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course
- Be a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (this means there are no restrictions on how long you can stay)
You may also qualify if you’re:
- An EU national or a family member of one
- A refugee
- A migrant worker
- The child of a Swiss national
- The child of a Turkish worker
How to apply
- Book onto a course
- Let the adviser know that you're interested in applying for the Advanced Learner Loan
- You will then be asked to pay a deposit of £125-£375 depending on the course - this is refunded upon receipt of full funding
- The adviser will arrange for a ‘Learning and funding information’ letter to be sent to you - you'll need this for your application as it contains the details of your course
- After this, you can register and apply on the gov.uk website. If you can’t apply online you can download the application form and send it to the address on the back
- If you need to send evidence to support your application, you can fill in the evidence return form
- You will receive a letter confirming your loan - usually within 2 weeks if you apply online (postal applications may take up to a maximum of 20 working days)
Forgotten to sign your form?
Fill in the signature form and send to the address on the back.
Changed your mind about the loan amount?
You can change the amount you have applied for by filling in the loan request form.
How to pay back your loan
You pay back your loan (plus interest) when you finish your course and earn more than £27,295 a year.
Key information about paying back the loan
- Your repayments won't start until a year after you finish your course, in April
- Your repayments will stop if your income drops below £27,295 a year
- Your monthly repayment will be 9% of any income you earn over £27,295
- If you’re an employee, your employer will work out your repayments and take them out of your salary with your tax
- If you’re self-employed your repayments will be paid as part of your Self-Assessment tax return. You can also pay some or your entire loan at any time without any extra charges.
For more information about repayments visit the gov.uk website.