Statistically, more than half of the adult population will experience lower back pain, either acute or ongoing, at some point in their lives. Mat-based Pilates exercises can be a valuable tool in the prevention and care of lower back problems. Developed by the Merrithew™ programming team in keeping with current research, this workshop focuses on exercise modifications that can be beneficial in a number of circumstances.
Major focus is placed on creating awareness and endurance of the local stabilisers of the lumbar spine and pelvic region. Although individual injuries are not covered, generalisations for specific exercise prescriptions are reviewed as a foundation for program development. Exercise choices for the prevention of back injuries and scope of practice concerns are also discussed.
This is a four-hour workshop.
What you will learn
- Learn why and how STOTT PILATES® exercise can be beneficial for back problems.
- Understand the STOTT PILATES Five Basic Principles of stabilisation and how they relate to back problems.
- Review exercise choice and program development for care and prevention of back issues.
- Discuss recent research regarding lumbo-pelvic stabilisation.
What you qualify with
- 0.4 Continuing Education Credits (only relevant for STOTT PILATES – 0.6 required per year).
Who can attend this workshop
No specific requirements. This workshop is open to all fitness professionals and Pilates instructors.
Call us on 0203 944 2533 (Local rate) to book your workshop or fill out our request a call back form.
We accept debit or credit cards over the phone or in person at our London head office. Our office is open 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday.
™/ ® Trademark or registered trademark of Merrithew corporation, used under licence.