Turn your love of music, movement and fitness into an exciting career: become a qualified Group Exercise to Music instructor.
This Level 2 Group Exercise to Music course has been recently updated to reflect the latest practice in the industry. It’s the best foundation for all forms of group exercise that you can get. During the course you'll learn everything from the theory behind how the body works, to the practical steps needed to construct an unforgettable Group Exercise to Music class.
Our tutors are passionate about what they do. They’re ready to support you every step of the way. With their guidance, you’ll prepare for your career: how to get into the industry and how to progress.
YMCAfit were the first training provider to deliver group exercise education over 35 years ago. Our name is recognised internationally, which means your qualification is too.
Group Exercise is the most popular form of exercise in the UK with more than an estimated 4.8 million people taking part every week. 26% of people say they are more likely to stay exercising when taking part in a group session than going to the gym. As an instructor, you have a real chance to unite people, create a community and keep people exercising for a lifetime.
- Qualifies you to go out and teach a Group Exercise to Music session
- A wider variety of exercise skills are included than ever before (including functional training)
- Focus on finding your style as well as optimising technique
- Learn to manage and motivate a class (and understand group dynamics)
- Paced to suit a wide range of abilities and experience
- Prepares you for auditions and employer expectations
- Develop your musicality – learn to work to the beat, phrase and rhythm of a variety of music styles
- Learn the business skills to help you define your brand and market
- It’s taught by highly- qualified, experienced tutors
- Unparalleled student support
- Free 12-month membership to MyGroupFit giving you access to class resources and 1 free music download
Our Group Exercise to Music course can be taken in the following formats:
The classroom based learning course will give you all the necessary skills to start your career as an Exercise to Music Instructor.
- Format: Classroom based learning
- Duration: 10 days plus 1 day assessment.
Weekends (Fri, Sat, Sun)
We offer a blend of classroom based learning and home study to reduce the number of days that you are required to attend.
- Format: Classroom based learning and home study
- Duration: 6 days plus 1 day assessment
This format must be booked a minimum of 6 weeks in advance. This is to allow you enough time to complete the theory learning online ahead of starting the theory elements on the course.
If you have already completed a Level 2 Aqua or Kids Fitness qualification you may be exempt from some of the assessment elements. We can chat about this at the time of booking.
What you will learn
- To confidently plan, teach, deliver and evaluate a Group Exercise to Music session
- How to work with the beat, phrase and rhythm of a various music styles
- Choreography methods to be able to confidently design your own choreography as well as an introduction to pre-choreographed sessions
- How to deliver safe and effective exercise programmes
- Personal technique, style and form when teaching
- Professionalism, motivation, communication and positive engagement
- Operational and legislative procedures
- Introduction to teaching the older adult, kids, disabled and ante and post-natal clients
- Components, principles and variables of fitness
- Cardiovascular, respiratory, nervous and energy systems
- Major bones, muscles and muscle actions of the body
- Healthy eating and the digestive system
How you will be assessed
The course is assessed through a combination of practical, online and written methods. These include a multiple-choice theory paper, worksheets and a practical assessment with two helpers.
What you qualify with
- YMCA Awards Level 2 Certificate in Teaching Group Exercise to Music (Freestyle)
- 20 REPs points / Entry to REPs at Level 2
- 10 CIMSPA points
This course is open to anyone over the age of 16. It is best that you have prior experience of participating in a variety of group exercise to music classes (aerobics, body conditioning, dance-style aerobics or combat).
Is this course for me?
- Are you new to the fitness industry but a regular class goer?
- Do you never miss a class and now want to your passion into pounds?
- Are you returning to the fitness industry after a break?
- Are you a Personal Trainer or Gym Instructor who wants increase your income, client base and market appeal?
- Are you a Club operator who needs to up-skill fitness instructors or personal trainers to teach a wide range of group exercise?
If you answered yes, to any of the above, Level 2 Group Exercise to Music is a great choice for you.
Call us on 0203 944 2533 (Local rate) to book your course or fill out our request a call back form.
We accept debit or credit cards over the phone or in person at our London head office. Our office is open 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday. You can either pay the full amount or by setting up an interest free direct debit in three monthly installments.
Adult Education Budget (AEB)
You may be able to fund all or part of your course with help from the Adult Education Budget. This fund is designed to help you gain the skills and learning you need in order to be successful in the fitness industry.
Speak to our Course Advisors to find out more.
Early payment discount
**Save 10% on course fees when you book and pay the full price two or more months in advance of the course start date. This offer cannot be used with any other discount.