The Level 2 Exercise to Music course allows you to use your personality to inspire different ages and ability by either working in a gym or freelance, delivering a number of classes a week, boosting your income and enjoying the flexibility to work around your existing lifestyle. The emphasis on freestyle teaching allows you to express your creativity and imagination confidently when delivering a studio class.
This course means that wherever you go with your career, one thing you'll get to share is your love of music and fitness. Once qualified you could also teach classes at fitness events and conventions and possibly become a fitness presenter, you could learn to deliver popular choreography- based classes through YMCAfit CPD modules or expand into holistic based teaching through Supple Strength and STOTT PILATES©.
The benefits of taking this course
- You will be taught by our highly qualified and experienced tutors who tailor their delivery to suit your individual learning style.
- The course provides a gateway to a wide range of Continued Profession Development courses such as Ante and Post-natal Exercise.
- You'll be able to involve yourself in studio co-ordinating and advanced teaching methods.
- Learn to deliver popular studio based classes through YMCAfit CPD modules such as Indoor Cycling and Kettlebells Pro.
- You'll have unparalleled student support to help you along your way.
- Free membership for 6 months to MyGroupFit that will give you access to a range of music to use in your classes once qualified.
Our Exercise to Music course can be taken in the following formats:
The classroom based learning course will give you all the necessary skills to start your career as an Exercise to Music Instructor
- Format: Classroom based learning
- Duration: 10 days run over 2 weeks plus 1 day assessment.
You may wish to study whilst staying within full-time employment. With this in mind, we offer a blend of classroom based learning and home study to reduce the number of days that you are required to attend.
- Format: Classroom based learning and home study
- Duration: 5 days plus 1 day assessment
This format must be booked a minimum of 6 weeks in advance to allow enough time to complete the theory learning online ready to sit the exams during the course.
If you have already completed a Level 2 Gym Instructor, Kids Fitness or Aqua qualification, you may only need to take the planning and practical units on this course and assessments. The price is cheaper and shown as 'practical module' in the location and dates section. We can chat more about this at the time of booking.
What you will learn
- To identify the major bones, muscles and muscle actions of the body.
- To explain the workings of the body’s cardiovascular (CV) and energy systems.
- To identify the components and principles of fitness
- How to relate the Health and Safety at Work Act to the gym environment
- To Identify excellent teaching skills in order to deliver safe and effective exercise programmes
- To Identify good customer care and strategies for the adoption and maintenance of physical activity
- How to apply specific health checks
- Plan, teach, deliver and evaluate a ETM session
- Design free-style choreography
- Work to the beat, phrase and/or rhythm of a variety of music styles
- Demonstrate good personal technique and form when teaching a session
- Apply basic skills that will enable you to include older adult, disabled, and antenatal and post-natal client groups in your sessions
How you will be assessed
- A combination of practical and written assessment methods including:
- Practical - you will be required to bring two helpers for your practical assessment
- Multiple choice theory papers
What you qualify with
- YMCA Awards Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Exercise to Music)
- 20 REPs points / Entry to REPs at Level 2
- 10 CIMSPA points
- Anyone over 16.
- Must have experience of participating in ETM classes such as aerobics, hi-lo, dance-style aerobics, combat, pre-choreographed classes taught to music.
Call us on 0844 417 2349 to book your course or fill out our request a call back form.
We accept debit or credit cards over the phone or in person at our London head office. Our office is open 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday. You can either pay the full amount or by setting up an interest free direct debit in three monthly installments.
Early payment discount
**Save 10% on course fees when you book and pay the full price two or more months in advance of the course start date. This offer cannot be used with any other discount.